Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Solar Oven or Cooker

Solar cooking go back to the 19th century and before. The French Foreign Legion was known to employ solar "hot boxes" while on campaigns in North Africa.
More recently, the idea was revitalized and updated with the work of Barbara and Sherry Cole in the 1960s and the 70s when they pioneered the solar box cooker made from cardboard while in India.
Solar cookers can also be used to pasteurize drinking water and sterilize medical equipment. There are three basic type of home-sized solar cookers. Parabolic Cooker, Panel Cooker, and the Box Cooker. I made a box cooker. I used a lot on material I had on hand to keep the cost down. You may be able to use the same material I did or you could find something better.
I want to thank Tom and Nancy Vineski where I got a lot of my info.

No comments: